Friday, January 3, 2014

Low-Calorie Foods

Hi everyone!  As you know from my weight loss story I posted, I lost weight from calorie counting.  I used MyFitnessPal to help me.  Though at one point, I became utterly obsessive about it, I feel it gave me invaluable, live-long knowledge about food.  Low-calorie does not mean healthy, but it does mean that you can eat a bit more of one food and really get your calorie "bang for your buck".  I recommend calorie counting because it forced me to learn copious amounts about food, their nutrients, and the way they affect your body.  It really opened my eyes-- and now I can't close them.
Here are some low calorie foods that I used to eat a lot of during my weight loss or foods I've come across that are pretty low-calorie:
-broccoli
-cauliflower
-green beans
-lettuce (preferably Romaine)
-celery
-strawberries
-apples
-oranges (not clementines)
--bell peppers
-cucumbers
-zucchini
-carrots
-any type of squash (spaghetti, butternut, acorn...)
-mushrooms
-powdered peanut butter
-apple butter (with no additives)-- like Tap'n Butter
-low-fat whipped cream
-original Cheerios
-original Fiber One Cereal
-Popchips
-popcorn
-50 calorie cheese sticks
-butter spray (zero calories)
-applesauce
-natural dried fruit pieces
-low-calorie bread or pita pockets
-rice cakes
-ice cream cake cones (preferably mini)
-rainbow sprinkles
-pumpkin
-tomatoes
-onions
-eggs
-chicken
-fish--shrimp and flounder
-grated Parmesan cheese

Corn, peas, bananas, grapes, pork, ham, and beef are not the lowest calorie options.  Definitely not rice or pasta, or any drink except water- unless you drink skim milk for calcium and protein.

I'll try my best to update this list periodically if I think of anything else.  Exercise moves are to come!  Let's develop healthy lives.  See you tomorrow.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment