Saturday, March 1, 2014

Update on Being Me

Hi everyone!  No recipe today, but I thought that since I have some time today, I'll make an update and info post.  Before reading, make sure you update yourself by reading Who I Am; My Story.
Medically, nothing is updated-- all is the same regarding medications.  I honestly haven't even had a doctor's appointment since probably December, thank God.  Of course, that also means that I'm not off of any of my medications, but I must remember to value time and to be patient.  I feel a million times better than I did last fall.  I think I'm finally feeling like myself again and I'm finally learning who I am.  I have new-found happiness that can only come from experience.
School is stressful, but I finally started reading for pleasure again.  I used to read all the time back in middle school and the 1st year of high school-- three book shelves worth and more from the library!--, but I stopped when I started to focus on weight loss. I'm so excited to finally get back to one of my old loves.
You gain something, you lose something.  I'm now focusing not on myself, but on my schoolwork-- I really think that it's the miracle equation to becoming something in your life, and though it goes against Thoreau, I sort of like the idea that society gives you stability if you give up your freedom of choice of what you want to do with your life and be what it wants you to be; stability can open other doors of enlightenment.  Ever since I was a little girl, I have wanted to be a famous singer.  Well, reality is a cruel inevitability, and I now realize the imperfections of that dream.  I now know I want to help people, and because of all of the medications I have had to experience myself, I think that I want to become a pharmacist...  Medications fascinate me because they're not apart of the body, yet they can supplement parts of it, or control it.  Medicine fascinates me, and yet scares me at the same time.  I feel it's powerful, and I want to embrace it just to see how far I can push my boundaries of understanding.
College is forever overbearing; every time someone brings up the words "scholarship", "SAT", "tuition", "loan", or "application", I feel like puking on myself.  Especially with all of the AP (college-level) courses I'm planning on taking next year (six compared to this years' three (!)), I think it's going to be a journey, but that doesn't mean I'm not excited to start... I know once I jump into it, I will be fine; I truly do love learning.  This year, I'm realizing for myself more and more that knowledge really is power in this world.
Regarding foods, there's definitely an update.  I'm now at 165 pounds, which means that I want to lose 15 pounds.  Don't worry about me-- I've got the tools and the irrevocable knowledge of experience, so I'll be fine, but... there are some updates-- I am no longer eating any refined sugars.  I hate the way that my blood sugar levels rise and fall so rapidly with sugary foods.  Also, the ingredients found in most candies or in most processed "junk food" are utterly appalling-- I love my M&M's, but I can definitely make a sacrifice to not let "Yellow 5", which is made from petroleum, come into my body.  Of course, it's completely your decision if you want to eat those foods, but I choose not to, for the most part.  Of course, I do slide every once in a while, so that's why I'm still making delicious peanut butter cookies with Skippy or M&M cookies-- some pleasures in life can't be supplemented (aka- healthy chocolate chip cookies cannot take the place of a good old chocolate chip cookie) and sometimes even I need a break from thinking about any of it [food].  Thus, the unhealthy, good old cookie is still alive-- full of butter and sugar.  Beauty is found in the most strange places.
Regarding another side of foods, I feel that I owe an exclamation, actually-- because of my thyroid problems, I no longer eat soy.  Soy falls into the long-standing category of a goitrogen, which is a fool that can cause a goiter, or an enlarged thyroid-- which can slow down the thyroid (and with hypothyroidism, I really don't need that).  For some easy-reading on this topic, just click here.  Of course, cruciferous vegetables are also said to be goitrogens, but I just can't give up my broccoli... <3.  With not eating soy, this means that I'm limited-- I used to make Asian-inspired hoisin sauce stir frys (my favorite), but now, with my thyroid acting up, I have chosen to cut soy out of my diet (and that means my family pretty much has, too).  Of course, I let myself have General Tso's chicken every once in a while (it's got to be one of my favorite foods), but I can't even think about letting myself have it even once a month, so I avoid it.  Therefore, you will probably never see a soy-inspired recipe here.
In the future, I would love to experiment some more with foods.  I can't wait to maybe start using beans in my recipes (my family doesn't really eat them much), and I have some really great surprises coming regarding cookies (my favorite thing to make-- have you noticed?).  Also, it's fun to see if you can make a healthy recipe actually taste "good" or "normal" (lol).  Right now, I'm actually working on making a farm made out of cookies for a project for English, but I can't wait to get it done and get back to baking fun things (my cookies!).
Well, that was a lot, but I had a couple updates to what's new with me.  Of course, you can also check me out on Facebook-- I post publicly every day when I put up a new post on here.  Forgive me if I don't accept your friend request if I don't know you-- I'm particular about who can see all of my information (but Crystal, it's already up on the internet!) :P.  Other than that though, you can also e-mail me.  Send me any recipe requests or ideas (I'm always scraping the depths to try to find some), or if you need advice on any part of health, I can probably help-- if not with experience or research, then with my realistic mind-- I'm pretty good at looking at situations objectively and logically.  Logic is my thing (hello, GPA of 97.8!).
Well, anyway, I love the climbing view count I always see.  I love to know that I'm touching peoples' lives.  Thanks for sticking in there with me-- let's see if we can keep it rollin'.
See ya later,
Crystal :)
P.S.: Also, check out my dad's birdhouses, bat-houses, and much more!: featherhouseonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment